Book Hotels in Nafplio
Nafplion (Ναυλος = freight + πλιο = ship) (Modern Greek: Ναύπλιο, Nafplio) or Nauplion (Greek: Ναύπλιον, Naupliοn) is a seaport town in the Peloponnese in Greece that has expanded up the hillsides near the north end of the Argolic Gulf. The town was the first capital of modern Greece, from 1829 to 1834. Nafplion, with a population of (13,822) is the capital of the prefecture of Argolis and the province of Nafplion.
The name of the town in Greek is Ναύπλιο or in Ancient Greek Ναύπλιον/Ναύπλιων (adding omega/nu, thus the transliteration "Nafplion"). As is the case with many Greek names, there is more than one possible Latin transliteration. Currently, the most commonly used English spelling is "Nafplion" (or sometimes "Nafplio" like the Modern Greek way of saying it).
Many sources, especially those dealing with the ancient city, refer to it by its Latin name of Nauplion. In other languages it is known variously as Nauplia, Navplion, Nauplio, Nafplion and Anapli; these names would have been current in English during the periods of Venetian and Ottoman domination. In Italian, Nafplion is known as Napoli di Romania, the last two words referring to the ancient name ("Romania" or rather "Rhomania") formerly used to define those territories occupied by the Byzantine Empire or Empire of Rhomania, and serving to distinguish the town from the other Napoli (i.e. Naples) in Italy. Turkish name of her is "Mora Yenişehri" is derived from Morea. "Mora" was added to Yenişehir (=New City) due to prevent confusing with Yenişehir and Yenişehr-i Fenar.
Nafplion is situated on the Argolic Gulf in the northeast Peloponnese. Most of the old town is on a peninsula jutting into the gulf; this peninsula forms a naturally protected bay that is enhanced by the addition of man-made moles. Originally almost isolated by marshes, deliberate landfill projects, primarily since the 1970s, have nearly doubled the land area of the city.
The area surrounding Nafplion has been inhabited since ancient times though little sign of this remains within the town. The town has been a stronghold at several times in history. It seems to be mentioned on an Egyptian funerary inscription of Amenophis III as 'Nuplija'.
The Acronauplia has walls dating from pre-classical times. Subsequently, Byzantines, Franks, Venetians, and Ottomans added to the fortifications. Nafplion was taken in 1212 by the French crusaders of the Principality of Achaea, then in 1388 was sold to the Venetians. During the subsequent 150 years, the lower city was expanded and fortified, and new fortifications added to Acronauplia. The city was surrendered to the Ottomans in 1540. Ottomans renamed her as "Mora Yenişehri" ("New City of Pelloponnes"). It was a sanjak centre during Ottoman rule. At that period, Nafplion looked very much like the 16th century image shown below to the right. The Venetians retook Nafplion in 1685, and strengthened the city by building the castle of Palamidi, which was in fact the last major construction of the Venetian empire overseas. However, only 80 soldiers were assigned to defend the city and it was easily retaken by the Ottomans in 1715.
Palamidi is a castle constructed by Venetians during the 17th century. It is located on a hill north of the old town. During the Greek War of Independence it played a major role. It has been captured by Staikos Staikopoulos (Στάικος Σταικόπουλος)on 31st November of 1821
During the Greek War of Independence, Nafplion was a major Ottoman stronghold and was besieged for a year by Theodoros Kolokotronis. The Acronauplia, and then Palamidi, finally surrendered because of starvation. After its capture, because of its strong fortifications, it became the seat of the provisional governments of Greece, and Kapodistrias made it the official capital of Greece in 1829. After his assassination there in 1831 a period of anarchy followed, until the arrival of King Otto and the establishment of the new Kingdom of Greece. Nafplion remained the capital of the kingdom until 1834, when King Otto decided to move the capital to Athens.
Count Ioannis Kapodistrias, first head of state of newly-liberated Greece, set foot on the Greek mainland for the first time in Nafplio on 7 January 1828. He was subsequently assassinated by local warlords on the steps of the church of Saint Spyridon in Nafplio on 9 October 1831 .
Tourism emerged slowly in the 1960s, but not to the same degree as around other areas of Greece; nevertheless, it tends to attact a number of tourists from Germany and the Scandinavian countries in particular. Nafplion enjoys a very sunny and mild climate, even by Greek standards, and as a consequence has become a popular day- or weekend road trip destination for Athenians in wintertime.
Nafplion is a port, with fishing and transport ongoing, although the primary source of local employment currently is tourism, with two beaches on the other side of the peninsula from the main body of the town and a large amount of local accommodation. There are frequent bus services from/to Athens (KTEL).
Since 2003, the University of Peloponnese has incorporated a new faculty, the School of Fine Arts. In 2007, a single department exists; the Department of Theatre, offering four majors:
The building of the National Bank of Greece is probably the only building in the world built in the Mycenaean Revival architectural style.
3 Cities total