Monodendri is one of the most beautiful villages of Zagori. It is built in an altitude of 1060 meters, 39 km from Ioannina city. The name of the village is from a big tree that existed until 1840. Until 1753, it was a community with three neighborhoods (Vitsa, Ano Mahalas, Agios Georgios). The local benefactors of the village helped Monodendri to obtain during 17th and 18th centuries schools, stone built manor-houses and churches. Rizari brothers come from Monodendri.
Our hotel 'Arhodiko Zarkada' has 21 rooms in total with excellent elegance. We serve breakfast that includes excellent local products. There is also a restaurant and a cafe for our guests.
All the rooms allocate heating with temperature control, satellite TV, DVD, safe box, fridge, hair drier, wi-fi Internet access, hydro - massage. Also, there are suites with fireplace and jacuzzi. The sense of luxury is everywhere and we use ecological Cocomat products.The hotel has gym and sauna. Very soon we will provide a closed, heated swimming pool. Finally, you will have the chance to enjoy extreme games in cooperation with local sporting companies: Rafting, riding, archery, etc.
Sights and Activities
During your stay in Zagori area at the hotel 'Arhondiko Zarkada', you will have the opportunity to visit:
- The canyon of Vikos in Monodendri village
- The impressive "stone forest"
- The exhibition center of Rizarios in Monodendri
- The Monastery of St. Paraskevi, overlooking the Vikos' canyon
- The handicraft center of Rizarios in Monodendri
- The folklore museum of Agapios Tolis, in Kipi village
- The famous bridges of Zagori: The bridge of Kokoris, the bridge of Kalogeriko and others.
In the city of Ioannina you may visit:
- The historical castle of Ioannina city
- The Pamvotis lake and the historical island with its monasteries
- The lakeside area with the taverns, cafes, clubs and other
- The museums of Ioannina [Museum of P. Vrellis - Archaeological - Byzantine]
- The cave of Perama with unique, geological formations
- The ancient theatre of Dodoni
Activities in Zagori area
Moreover, in Zagori area you can enjoy many sports and adventure activities such as, paragliding, mountain bike, rafting, trekking and other. We are always at your disposal in order to inform you about the sights and the visits that you may have in our area. For any information, please contact us.
See also: www.zagori.info and www.epirus.org.
How to get here
- You can follow the National Roads (from Athens the National Road Antirio - Ioannina or from Igoumenitsa or Thesaloniki, Egnatia Odos) to the city of Ioannina
- After passing Ioannina, go north (via the National Road Ioannina - Kozani)
- In the 18th km you must turn right to Zagori area and follow the road signs to the village of Monodendri.